Monday, September 13, 2010

A Little Bit About Water

As of late, water has been our focus in biology. I have enjoyed this because I love being in the water, I often wonder if in my past life I was a fish. So learning about all the little things that make water act the way it does has been a fun task. Today, I read an article about a new way to see the structure of the molecules of water. The article was describing the process in which researchers were getting to take a more developed look at the water molecules. It did honestly fascinate me, researchers found that since water molecules are everywhere, they happened to get trapped under a sheet of graphene on an atomically flat surface of Mica. The water would get trapped in between the sheet of graphene and the Mica, the graphene would than act kind of like shrink-wrap. It forms itself around the water molecules so tightly that it shows the atomic structure of the molecules. So in turn, making it easier for the researchers to see those molecules and study them. What they found was that the first layer of water on the mica was actually two water molecules thick, and that it has the structure of ice. In my opinion the finding of this new way to conduct molecule research is astounding. We are finding out more about our world, the big and the small parts, everyday!

No comments:

Post a Comment